View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
OhioYJ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2016 370Z
OhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond reputeOhioYJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well finally got around to installing my spoiler. So I swear I read Fly1 spoilers use factory holes, and either I mis-read this, or this was greatly exaggerated. I may have been going into this with too high of an expectation though. I made lemonade out of the situation, but I'm not impressed. I think may have ordered one of the cheaper variations if I had done if over again.

So I did manage to get the factory spoiler off in one piece, however it wasn't any fun:

As with everyone, the worst part was cleaning all the tape off:

There are seven holes that won't be used by the Fly1 spoiler in the deck lid. Worst yet the spoiler doesn't exactly contour to the hatch, so you really need to seal up the holes. I used push pins, siliconed down to seal them:

The outer hole needs to be drilled. There is a hole there for a push pin from the factory, however it's not in the correct location so on top of being drilled, you'll need to walk it over towards the center of the car. My recommendation would be not to go all the way through though. Because would interfere with the gasket surface on the bottom. Instead I drilled a access hole off to the side. Be prepared to be frustrated as this is very difficult to get the bolts started still. Watch it though the hole below that is for a push pin for the interior panel. In this manner no chance of leaks, damaging the seal, or wind noise:

The spoiler does look good:

Now the problem was no matter how I positioned the spoiler it did not fit the contour of the hatch perfectly. There were areas the tape did not touch. This left a gap water, dirt, wind, etc could get under. I used a syringe filled with clear silicone to get under the tape to fill the gaps. Only in the areas that were lifted obviously:

Now I know how this sounds. Once done, and smoothed it's all underneath everything. The silicone is not visible. It's under the tape. Here is the front, done. It doesn't look a caulked bathtub, I swear:

I did notice my 2016 does not have the weight on the hatch like earlier models.

Overall I was a little disappointed in the quality of the spoiler, as I had a big higher expectations of it. Perhaps that was my fault. That being said, I still think it turned out good. It's definitely an improvement over the sport spoiler for sure.
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote