View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
kevinpantz
Base Member

Drives: 2014 Nismo 370z
kevinpantz is on a distinguished road
Default Nismo hit and run

3am leaving work and a drunk (I know because she got out of the car) girl rear ended me at a red light. I called the cops as soon as I realized what happened, and before I could even finish saying the address there was one patrolling that happened to turn on the same street. He flips his lights on and she bails but he couldn't catch her. Long story short I thought I recognized her face and after searching online the police and I were able to verify her identity/ownership of the vehicle in the accident.

I'll include pictures in here
Both rear quarter panels have huge dents, the rear bumper surprisingly only has paint scuffs and a few broken tabs. Passenger tail light is done, driver side has broken tab, the trunk latch/lock mechanism thing is bent out of place to the point the trunk doesn't close anymore.

edit: Sorry I don't know how to resize the pics to make them smaller
( Click to show/hide )

This is the first accident I've ever been in and would like to hear your opinions on the subject. One particular thing on my mind is the value of my car after this. For me personally I would never buy a car that's been in an accident, especially not if it's a numbered car like my 14 nismo. In all honestly it's so heartbreaking that I'd rather them just buy me out of the loan and keep the car but I'm assuming that's wishful thinking. Another thing that worries me is that I fear whoever does the rear bumper, whether replacement or new, won't use 3 separate colors for the red trim, gray part by the exhaust and black. Almost all of the repaints I've seen just paint the bumper one solid color.

I have 4 years left on my loan and a lot could change between now and then (starting a family or change of business) and I don't want to suffer with a lower offer for a trade in or private sale because of this. Basically I either want out of the car, or a check on top of repairs.
Have any of you in your experience been compensated for diminished value after an accident that wasn't your fault? If so I'm curious to know how difficult it was to attain and how much it was. Also, will insurance cover mechanical damage? driving my car off the street into a nearby parking lot the car now has a weird shimmy/lobsided wobble.

Last edited by kevinpantz; 04-10-2018 at 12:17 AM.
kevinpantz is offline   Reply With Quote