View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #58 (permalink)
milkcow500
Base Member

Drives: 11 G37xs
milkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond reputemilkcow500 has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm actually swapping out my v3 for a V7 in the next week or two. Here's some things I learned from all my research.

Be very careful when listening to info provided by these supercharger companies. It's a very small market and it seems like they all like to keep things to themselves. I've had Vortech, 928, and Superchargerrebuilds all trash talk each other, which didn't give me much confidence in the industry in general.

Vortech is only interested in selling new units or doing trade ins, which is not worth it imo. I've seen harsh mixed reviews on both 928 and SCR, so I can see how it's difficult for people to decide where to send their business. To be frank, rebuilding a supercharger is not difficult. There's even full PDF guides in how to rebuild a V3/V7 you can get off other forums.

You can use the V7 with Topgunz's kit. You will need to use a different filter though, since there's less clearance and it has a larger volute (4" vs 3.5"). Here's the deal with the V3 vs V7. You want to pick which blower will suite your power needs (For efficiency sake). If you are finalizing on somewhere around Evan's power range, then a built V3 will be much better suited. You'll also have better power under the curve. Reliability issues start becoming a coin flip once you start overspinning the blower though, so keep this in mind. This is mainly because of the closed loop setup and the oil slinger being fragile. The V7 does not utilize an oil slinger.

Buy used and private sell your V3 if you are looking go this route. I bought a slightly damaged V7 for a fraction of the cost of the blower NIB. Play the waiting game and pick up a good deal. Lurk around on ebay and the mustang/corvette forums.

Best of luck.
milkcow500 is offline   Reply With Quote