View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #449 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gsx95;3743942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post

I feel like your defense of the DCT is actually bolstering my point. Of course it shifts faster. Of course it is more consistent. Of course it is easier in traffic. There is a certain group of skills historically requiring mastery to drive well. It is what separates excellent race car drivers from the rest of us. Now we are allowing a computer to assume the responsibility for one of those skills, and of course the computer is much better at it than we are. The computer will also be much better, faster and smoother at steering input, brake modulation and hitting brake points, acceleration out of turns, etc. It is all but guaranteed that these skills will be taken over by technology that is better at it than we are. If going faster around a track is the ultimate goal, humans will soon just be along for the ride. It is already happening. If the satisfaction of mastering skills and techniques is the goal, anything that assumes control over them is detrimental to that. And for the record...I am master of nothing! I just enjoy the attempt.

I do agree that having a choice is most important, but I don't understand why a truly dedicated car enthusiast wants to develop fewer driving skills.
Most major racing series feature a DCT / sequential gearbox. They would also fit the race car master category. You like manual gearbox. Thats all your saying and you didnt make a point. If anything you are missing it. Race drivers are not driving manuals so they lack skills LOL???????????
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote