View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

FYI - current routine I'm using is a 5/3/1 inspired routine.
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/53...-pure-strength

My rest breaks for my primary strength lifts are 3 minutes, the others vary from 1-2 minutes depending on the workout. During those "rest breaks" I cycle HIIT and steady state cardio, so my workout is about an hour of pure activity without a real break - exceptions being the time it takes me to drink water, or take notes of the weight I've lifted.

My strength has improved using this program, but I'm starting to plateau a bit since I've increased activity and decreased calorie intake. However, I've also lost several pounds and until last week I was steadily increasing my lifts, so if I can continue to drop weight while maintaining, I'll be fine with that (next 2 weeks should be telling).

Previously, I've used and enjoyed Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Strength and Shortcut to Shred programs, and a variety of home brew setups.

Diet - oatmeal and protein powder for breakfast, almonds as a mid morning snack, lunch is chicken/beef/pork and some kind of carb (I like sweet potatoes for a slow digesting carb). Pre workout I typically have a protein shake and some creatine, post workout I like white potatoes or other similarly fast burning (the potassium from the potatoes is a big reason why I go for them too) along with a lot of veggies and a fattie protein source like some cuts of beef (need fats for proper testosterone production, lot of people cut fat too much - big problem).