View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #444 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gsx95;3743719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
Correct.

I can report from my 4C forum that even the most fervent advocates of the 3-pedal layout forget about the difference in about 10 minutes. Those who continue to bellyache about it have simply never driven a true DCT. If anyone is among the latter category, go test drive a true DCT car in manual mode before you judge. In a slow, touring car, 3 pedals are perhaps still preferable. On a real sports car, times have moved on.

QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more. I am on my second GT-R (had an '09 since '08, which I traded in for a '15 in '14), and I would never want to have only a DCT. For me, there is no comparison to driving a manual. Most people who buy a car seem to convince themselves that what they have is better, so in my experience most folks on DCT car forums say they love DCTs. Sure, they are faster and easier to drive (and I obviously love my GT-R, which you might say is the car that made all the other performance cars switch to DCTs). But the skill and involvement of a true manual connects you to the car in ways that a DCT is designed to disconnect you from. A DCT just performs it's function more efficiently than most (all?) people can. I just think that if efficiency is the only goal, then soon we will all be in self driving computer pods.

I have a manual and a DCT. Will take the DCT over 3 pedals every day of the week, unless I’m just out Sunday driving. The DCT is faster shifting, and way more consistent on the track to not unsettle the car when at the limit (not just my words). It is also easier on the clutch(es) in traffic.

It is true that it is far easier to master a DCT (and I’ve far from mastered a manual), but the feedback I get from other drivers who also have cars with either, including track instructors, is that they feel as close a connection with the DCT car as they do with the third pedal, and are faster around any course.

However, to each their own. As long as the choice is offered. Except that more and more it isn’t.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote