Thread: Yay! Trackspec!
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #75 (permalink)
Baronsmokes
Premium Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Roadster
Baronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon View Post
Disclaimer: This isnt a how-to, just providing some info that might help others.

Tools:

Harbor Freight 4" corded angle grinder [HF #60373]
SAS adjustable Face Shield [HF #46526]
Safety Glasses
Dust mask
Diablo 4"x .040" (1mm) Metal Cut Off Wheel [Home Depot #247559]
Blue painters tape
Moving blankets [HF]
Plastic
Exacto knife
2 testosterone filled sacs

Tool Notes:

Cut Off Wheel - I purchased 2 but you'll only need 1.

Safety - I used a face shield and safety glasses. I used a dust mask and some ear plugs too. Make sure you re-adjust the angle grinder shield to best protect you.

Exacto knife - Used to cut and peel off the template guide lines. I spent a good amount of time doing this.

Prep Notes:

Blankets/Plastic - You'll want to cover the entire engine bay and from the top the windshield forward. The aluminum dust gets everywhere.

Masking - I taped off a huge swath of each side for the side vents. Only on the top, I did not mask the underside of the hood.

Cutting Notes:

General - Let the tool do the work. Dont push to vigoursly trying to cut through faster. For each straight edge I made some back and forth motions, slowly and carefully, across the entire length to start a groove/cut line. I then plunged about 1/4 of the way from a corner, backed into the corner then proceeded the rest of the length.

Corners - The corners are a bit tough. Just keep an eye on your cut line and dont overshoot. Most of the corners turned out ok but 2 of them I had to take a longer look at to do them properly.

Finishing notes:

I vacuumed all the dust up from the enginer bay and all around. I used a dremel with a cylindrcal sanding disc to smooth out the edges. Although this was good I am going to get a small file as I need to smooth our the space between the ribs that were cut. I will also paint anything cut and let it dry before finishing the install.

I spent about 2 weeks agonizing over using different angle grinders or a jigsaw. I went with the angle grinder because of the many videos I watched and it was noted it was more likely faster.

Nice Job
Looks great.
Cut holes in my Cf hood for low profile hood pins.
Nerve wracking.You can not screw up.
Baronsmokes is offline   Reply With Quote