View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #1020 (permalink)
gomer_110
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '11 Nismo #528 GM
gomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Why would a clutch type be more beneficial than others? I understand a lot of people prefer the OS Geiken model.

Edit: From what I understand the main difference is that a clutch type works better when one wheel is off the ground unloaded. That would seem like a pretty rare circumstance on a rwd car on street tires with more or less open suspension modifications available. Is that the main concern for those recommending a clutch type? I don't like that clutch types may affect street driving and require service.

Edit 2: If the clutch type is the way to go, what are the thoughts on the Nismo 1.5 way?

Edit 3: apparently the lock in a clutch type has more tunability. The torsion types can be tuned as well but to a lesser degree. It also seems that the poor street ability comes on the higher ends of lock and that you can build diffs like the osg to have a more progressive street friendly lock transition. The biggest knock is service but if we are talking once a year, that doesn't seem so bad. What is the typical interval?
ftfy

The wheel doesn't have to be off the ground to cause issue, just unloaded. When I used to have the Quaife (torsen style) in my car it was a real problem on corner exit getting the power down consistently. I imagine the vLSD would probably be slightly better than a torsen in that sense but only as long as the special goo in it hasn't broken down. Clutch types simply don't care if a wheel is unloaded or in air and will give you consistent and confident power down on corner exit.

From everything I've heard and read, the reason the OSG's are preferred is they are silky smooth unlike many other clutch type LSD's. My Cusco 1.5 way is admittedly harsh and clunky when not driving the car hard. It is still tolerable for when the car occasionally sees street driving.

While I'm no expert on the maintenance of LSD's, I can say I've had mine in the car for 2 full seasons now with no indication of needing a rebuild yet. Also consider that is with the car running on Hoosiers which can be more punishing to equipment than street tires.
'11 370Z Nismo #528 Fast Intentions | Stillen | Motordyne | Uprev | CSF | Zspeed | Z1 Motorsports | AST | Swift | SPC | SPL | Whiteline | Hotchkis | Bride | Schroth | Robispec | Cusco | Nismo | Volk | Forgestar | Hoosier | RJM
'17 Titan Bone Stock
gomer_110 is offline   Reply With Quote