View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #67 (permalink)
ChopsZ
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z GM 6MT
ChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond repute

This is all copied from my thread over on the DIY Mobile Audio forum...

Okay, so plans have changed a little. For one, I am NOT installing the Helix amp. In fact, it's up for sale right now. I solved the intermittent issue with my Arc Audio amp. It has been running flawlessly for the past couple of months. Turned out to be faulty crossover switches in the amp. Simply bypass the internal crossovers and everything is fine.

So... as far as the subs are concerned, I ordered a pair of the Bazooka BT8024DVC 8" subs like I originally planned. The nice thing is, keeping with the Arc amp, I'm giving these subs a healthy, clean 600 watts instead of the 230 watts if I had gone with the Helix. Honestly, 230 watts would probably be more than enough, but I'm always one for plenty of headroom power.

Anyway, I removed the spare tire and strapped the subs down in the tire well, retaining ALL of my limited cargo room. Of course, the main benefit is maintaining a totally stock appearance. The only visible thing is the head unit. Even the "bass knob" for the sub channels is hidden, yet still easily accessible while driving.

For the actual install, I bought four 4' tie-down straps to use instead of the much shorter ones that Bazooka supplies with the subs. Reason being that the formed foam floor inserts in the 370Z has slots with velcro straps already going through them to hold down the various tire/jack/toe hook hardware in place. I wanted to use these same slots to "mount" the subs to, and the Bazooka straps simply wouldn't be long enough to reach over to and through those 8" thick foam inserts and still wrap around the subs.

And if you're familiar with that non-slip padded lining that's used in toolboxes, I used some of that under the tubes on the floor to keep the tubes from possibly slide forwards or backwards. I've got the subs snugged down pretty darn good and doubt they'd shift around, but just for that little added assurance, I threw some under the subs anyway.

Here's a few pics of the BT6028DVC next to the BT8024DVC, just for comparisons sakes. BTW, the 6.5" sub will be going into the girlfriend's little Fiat Pop - It's a great little sub!

From this little 6.5" giant...

To this...

To this...

To the untrained eye, you would never know there's anything out of the norm going on back there. The floor is just barely a touch higher than stock. I'll get some better pics in a few days...