View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
I hear you. I got the tool because a dealer drain/refill is at least $150+. It's paid for itself already after servicing two cars. Can't put a price tag on time/hassle saved by not having to deal with bleed screws or worry about car over heating. I suppose from a tech perspective, if customer is getting billed per hour then the funnel makes more sense.
No the vacuum filler makes the most sense because techs get paid flat rate so if they go over the time charges they are working for free, also if it comes back then it is getting looked at again for free. So doing it once and doing it right is very important for a tech (why I personally have one). It's just that techs do not make much money and that mixed with the large amount of warranty work (which pays even less time than you could believe) you're almost guaranteed to be working for free at least a few hours a day sometimes, on a big job your entire week may be a loss. Also a lot of cars now have included services which pay the tech a lot less time, it used to be you made your time back on that type of work to offset the warranty garbage but now that's gone and the warranty garbage is still there. Also that won't be the only tool the tech needs, they will have an open account with Mac, Snap on and Matco and have a decent amount of debt to them. As Rusty said most techs are just barely trying to get by and if they have been in it for a little while they are not looking to invest more in a field going nowhere and are looking to save as much and trying to get out.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote