Thread: best shift knob
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #276 (permalink)
fork
Base Member

Drives: 18 370 ST Blue Pearl
fork is on a distinguished road

I bought a new knob because the top insert in my stock knob kept creaking. I figured if I was going to take it off to tighten the screw on the insert I might as well just buy a new knob.

I went with a Billetworkz custom delrin knob. It is a little shorter than the stock shift knob and about half of the weight (3.4oz compared to 7.2oz of the stock knob). Since it is shorter, I had to order a Z1 knob finisher to take up some of the space and help with the mating between the bottom of the knob and top of the boot. I had to add another 3/8" worth of rubber washers in the top of the boot to get them to take up the rest of the space. However, the throw still seems a little bit shorter even though the knob doesn't sit as low as it absolutely could.

Because it is a hard plastic, it is not as comfortable moving into a different gear compared to the softer feel of the leather wrap of the stock. The low weight probably doesn't help with that much, either. I think it looks pretty good in the end, though. The matte black of the knob looks good in the interior of the car. It at least matches all of the Weather Tech I have on the floors right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1347.JPG (420.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1349.JPG (227.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1350.JPG (428.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1351.JPG (438.8 KB, 67 views)
fork is offline   Reply With Quote