View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchammond View Post
Being 6’6” tall, the MT was out,,,shifted too many gears in past with a clutch.
My Z had 93,000 mi. on it when it got crashed out & thoroughly enjoyed the 7A/T.
I added a Quaife Helical locker to the base 3.357 open diff & made it get both Wheels pulling when it was time to roll.
I’ve never driven the other Transmission’s you listed; but I learned quickly the speeds that this one would up shift/downshift....and would pull it over in manual mode to drive/cruise at desired rpm’s.
As all newer transmissions try to reach the tallest gear possible for maximum fuel mileage.
Look at the gear ratios in chart & you’ll see why it’s very quick down low & through the gear-box,,,just wish 6th gear was in the 1:15 range vs. the first of 2 OD’s.
Stock sized tires & low fuel,Little weight in back ran 13.1@105 in qtr.(CAI & FI exhaust was mods-no Headers)I performed a gear swap to the 3.69 ratio & woke it up down low...with tire’s that we’re really oversized for the strip/ ran 12.9@106 (1/2 fuel+tools & other junk in car...I know I could get closer to mid 12’s...but I got totaled by an uninsured motorists on 1/21/18.
I would definitely purchase another one & enjoyed the option to either bump-shift or paddle shift while in manual mode.
My 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve seen others do the gear swap for the auto. I don’t think I’ll go that route if/when I need do replace my vlsd with something else. I used to have a low geared car and it gets a bit annoying on trips but I’m curious if the speedo can be recalibrated for the z, also heard you lose cruise control? I’m not sure why cruise control would be effected (I understand the speed you picked wouldn’t actually be what your going). With GM you could get special programming from GM to reflash for the diff gears but not sure what people do for the z.

My curiousity has me interested
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote