View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
bcfromfl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2015 PW Nismo 6MT
bcfromfl will become famous soon enoughbcfromfl will become famous soon enough

Thanks again, Jayhovah and TBatt! I don't own a lot of tools, and no jacks or lifts, so, I have to weigh the costs of outfitting my garage along with my inexperience with involved mechanical stuff, too. There's a lot I don't know, and sometimes instructions assume you know little things that they don't include, but are vital to doing a job right. That's the sort of thing that makes me hesitate about tackling the clutch, for example. I know the pedal is supposed to be "easy," but again, easier if the car is a few inches off the floor. (I did read a thread somewhere about someone building a low padded bench alongside the rocker panel. That might be doable. But then the HD clevis and master cylinder I'm clueless again!)

I've also considered doing the rear bushings and subframe collars myself in the future, but, the same cautions above come to light. Now I've got the car all apart and rear axle inoperable, and no easy way to get it to someone to do right!! The distance from our home to even the nearest Billy-Joe-Bob-We-Hack'm-Right Shop is twenty miles.

TBatt -- you mentioned the tune, and I noticed you did Ecutek and Seb, which is the route I plan to go. I've searched and read everything I can (including Seb's blogs), but nowhere mentions recommendations on laptops, OS, that sort of thing. We've got a desktop and two older iPads, but no laptop, so I was thinking of finding a cheapo one on Craigslist or something just for this purpose. Does the interface use USB 2, and what operating system does the software require?

That brings up another issue, am I going to have to prepare for the inevitable codes? I was looking at the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII scan tool and app. Folks don't seem to talk too much about that sort of thing here, but I don't want to have to be tethered to the dealership all the time...who might be reluctant to touch the car once I've voided all the warranties!!
bcfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote