View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 03:08 AM   #92 (permalink)
StormWhite
Base Member

Drives: 2017 370Z Coupe
StormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond reputeStormWhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by future370zzz View Post
If anyone is looking for an orange airbag clock spring connector PM me.

Here are a few tips and cautionary advice on top of what has already been mentioned for those attempting this mod.

1. An hour or two before starting, hit the two airbag T30 bolts with WD40 or liquid wrench to loosen them up. You can clean up the mess inside afterwards.

2. Use a socket ratchet to remove the airbag T30 bolts. You will likely need this for additional leverage. These bolts are tight.

3. Remove the gray clip first to give you more room to remove the orange and yellow airbag clock spring connectors (don't ask me why I know what they are called, ugh).

4. Have a small needle nose plier ready to remove the orange and yellow airbag clips.

5. There is a small hook that keeps the orange/yellow wires away from the center of the wheel. Make sure you unhook the wires to give yourself more room to unclip the orange/yellow wires.

6. Remove the orange connector and then the yellow. Furthest to the closest.

7. Be CAREFUL with the orange/yellow connectors. I broke the black clip on the yellow connector and had to open up the connector and pull the two wires out. Felt like doing surgery. If you need to do this be careful, these the ends are fragile. Had to remove and reinstall these little wires 3 to 4 times to align the wheel correctly and broke them. Had to purchase a set of the orange and yellow plugs on ebay. I have an orange one for sale.

8. After removing the steering wheel center nut, before pulling out the wheel, mark the steering wheel bolt to provide a reference for installing the new steering wheel. My OEM steering wheel center nub didn't match up to the steering wheel bolt notch on the car. Also take a photo so you can reference when re-installing. If it's not aligned properly, you need to redo the entire DIY again because you won't notice until you actually drive the car if it's just off by one small spline.

9. Remember to tuck back the orange/yellow wire harness away from the center of the wheel.

10. Lightly tug and push on the connectors to make sure they are seated properly. Don't what that airbag light to come up. you should hear a click, if not they should not be able to pull out.

11. A trick to keep the bolts on your screwdriver and out of the steering wheel. Is to insert the T30 screwdriver to your bolt and tape it so it doesn't fall back behind your steering wheel. Tape should stick to the bolt, just remove it after nut is tightened with needle nose pliers.

I hope the tips above makes your experience smoother than mine. This is a simple DIY but you can't just blow thru it because you're dealing with tight bolts that can strip, special connectors, reference points for proper alignment.

Speaking of special connectors, PM me if you need an orange airbag clock spring connector.
I shall be attempting this job soon and after perusing the thread and consulting the manual I have a couple of questions:

No 4:

Manual says to just lift up the locking tabs on the tops of the clockspring connectors of the airbag rather than remove them. It says once the tabs are lifted each clock spring connector can be removed.

No 5 & 9

Is the small hook removeable or do you have to bend it to release the airbag harnesses?
StormWhite is offline   Reply With Quote