Thread: Wipe her butt?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
markesc
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 370z M.B. 7AT
markesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond repute

Dry car, then you have the following issues:

Mirrors: I push them in, and use a towel to soak up the water, otherwise you'll have water running down the doors

Doors: Wipe down both the door jamb area and the underside of the door, paying attention to the rubber seal; I'm hoping this helps keep the seals preserved, plus who likes getting their work clothes dirty every time they get in/out of the car presuming you work in a dead end suicide inducing office job

Gas Lid: Open, wipe down

Rear hatch: This is the biggest problem area, pop it, wipe down the entire area especially the top as you'll have moss grow in there if you don't, and water will run down the passenger side, be sure to wipe both the jamb area and the lid itself.

Tail lights: A few seconds of holding a towel that can readily abosorb water will do part of it

Rear license plate area: water will drop out of here, wipe it down, bang on it a few times, and wipe it down again.

I've found driving the car for maybe 30 seconds back up the hill to my garage will result in more water, so I will have to wipe those areas down again, OR, wash n dry the car the night before, sit overnight, and it tends to have less repeat water seepage action.

Humidity/heat levels/towel type/direct vs. indirect sun make a HUGE difference. I've been using this maximus crazy $25 micro fiber from chemical guys washed in the microfiber soap.

Tip: Get your drying towel completely wet BEFORE attempting to dry the car, then wring it out as best as you can, and magically it seems to whick water back up much better then doing 3-5 passes and potentially scratching the car in the process, and then getting to hide out in the garage for five hours with the buffer (I do this 2-3x per year because I have no life and it's a Midnight blue and shows EVERYTHING: mistakes, nissan orange peel, lazyness, lack of claybar, lateral micro scratches); Man, when it's clean/shined up @ sunset, looks AMAZING plus it's a Z, so while car paint care is an unhealthy obsession, it's fun when you get a compliment or into a random conversation with another car lover, and attractive women who don't consume fast food constantly seem to appreciate a clean car
markesc is offline   Reply With Quote