View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzonts View Post
It's hard to understand how these car companies can continue to sell defective products for years with feeble or non-existent attempts to correct known issues. I was looking at used Pathfinders only to discover the CVT transmission nightmare. CARMAX will gladly selll you one and probably knows it has a POS transmission. Thankfully there are sources of information today to reduce ones chances of buying a lemon or vehicle with certain defects. I puchased a used 2011 Ford Escape a few years back and it has several known issues, but nothing like the CVT issue. The transmission slips a bit when cold and the electronic power steering stops working sporadically. The transmission issue can be corrected with a ECU update. The power steering has only shutdown once in 30K+ miles. It resets if you stop and start the car.

I guess most cars are not perfect but the manufacturers should certainly address the defects that render the vehicle useless and cost thousands of dollars, or endanger ones life.
Frontier / Xterra have an even better automatic tranny issue since 2005 refresh.

The separation in the radiator between tranny cooler and engine coolant fails at an alarming rate in these. Running glycol through an automatic transmission has devastating effects. By the time you experience the symptoms, your gearbox is toast. This was not fixed until at least into the twenty-teens. You cannot find used transmissions! New ones are not cheap. First thing I did when I read about that was to bypass the rad and put an after-market oil cooler in.

Fuel sending units in 2005+ Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontier stops reading fuel level and gas light comes on with 3/4 tank displayed (unknown quantity in the tank, often full). Therre was a recall, but not covering anywhere near the number of vehicles affected. Was a major battle to get Nissan to cover any of the cost (I had dealership do mine and fought for years to get Nissan to pony up any of it. Evenutally, thanks to joining a complaint campaign to Transport Canada, they did come to the table but did not pay in full. Bascially, they would have hung their dealerships out to dry for the difference between what they billed me and what Nissan would authorize them in the way of cost for the job).

Both these tended to manifest themselves shortly after the warranty was up, so there was little direct incentive for Nissan to address them.

Smacks of a French attitude. Wait a minute ... Renault???

Last edited by ZCanadian; 01-06-2018 at 09:44 AM.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote