View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
carterml
Base Member

Drives: 13 Touring 6M GM
carterml is on a distinguished road
Default Have had 2 different head units

Installed a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS in November 2016; it lasted almost one year before the right audio channel failed. Tried to get it repaired under the 1-year warranty and learned that warranty was unavailable to me because I didn't purchase the unit from one of the less than one dozen "authorized retailers"...I bought it from an Amazon storefront retailer. Decided to not throw more good money after bad and bought a Kenwood Excelon DDX9904S. Have only had it a couple of months but I really like it. The Pioneer had an automated EQ setup function but the Kenwood has a wide range of setup features that allowed me to better tune the system and sound to my tastes (mostly R&B and jazz).

I also installed front facing and backup cameras, SiriusXM, a remote combination USB & AV input in the center console, and a second USB input in the glove compartment. I was able to retain the factory SiriusXM and FM antennas. Used an Idatalink Maestro SW for steering wheel controls and a wiring harness from Harness House ($20 on Amazon) that includes pinouts for the steering wheel controls. Did not have to tap into any of the wires on the factory side of the harness. Did have to install 3 jumpers on the Bluetooth module harness in order to retain steering wheel control functions.

Full disclosure, I'm running the factory Bose audio speakers and amp but it sounds good to me. Also, be aware that Kenwood has the same warranty limitation but if you buy from an authorized retailer, the Kenwood Excelon head unit has a 2-year warranty.
carterml is offline   Reply With Quote