View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
alan93rsa
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 16 Cayman GT4 Red
alan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond repute

I thumbed through the Pegasus catalogue yesterday to see what the parts would cost to build an oil cooler. It looks like $550 - $600 to do it right. That would included a Mocal or Setrab oil cooler (AN -10 or -12 fittings, lines, fittings, oil filter plate adapter and an in-line thermostat. This price would be for premium lines and fittings. It looks like a short cooler may fit in the fender based on some press photos.

I've done this on a 993, RSA America and 944 turbo with very good results. The trick is to fab the anchors and route the lines. Take a block of Styrofoam and cut it to the size of the cooler you want to use. Then find a place to mount it that allows routing the lines. You can access the left fender on the Z through a small piece on the engine side of the radiator which would make routing the lines very easy. The right fender appears to have some type of reservoir in it.

You could do it for about half the price if you went with budget lines/fittings and left out the thermostat.

I may get energetic this week and take a few measurements.