View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Erob
Base Member

Drives: 2010 Silver 370Z AT
Erob is on a distinguished road

The battery replacement cost for most current electric vehicles puts them in a category of not affordable for most people. The manufacturer stated cost of battery replacement for a Tesla is approximately $12,000, however, after further reading the actual cost is reported to be between $30,000 - $40,000. Since I do not own one I'm not sure of accuracy of this report but it is worth consideration if you're interested in buying one. Also, the common number for battery replacement seems to be around 8 years. What are people going to do if they don't want to pay for a new battery pack, keep it for 7 years and trade it in for a new one? Therefore keeping a perpetual monthly car payment? No for me. I prefer debt free. And Yes, if you can afford a Tesla you can probably afford to replace the battery pack but again the majority of the population cannot. I'm all for owning an electric car but for me they have a long way to go. I realize most manufacturers want to jump on the band wagon since it is obvious this is the future of vehicles, BUT, there must be a balance. So hopefully good ole fashioned gas powered sports cars will not be abandoned for some time. They (manufacturers) still need to dance with the one that brung'em.

Last edited by Erob; 12-17-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Erob is offline   Reply With Quote