View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #360 (permalink)
Kyle(Houston)
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 1993 Nissan 300zx TT
Kyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond reputeKyle(Houston) has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Kyle(Houston) Send a message via AIM to Kyle(Houston) Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle(Houston)

Lets talk about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDog View Post
I have to concur. IPP has been a bit of a disappointment. I installed their heads and reinstalled my complete rebuild only to discover their valve lash is out of spec, and my motor is pretty loud (and self destructive) up there. My go to guy at the Nissan dealer is telling me me I need to relash the heads. (15 hours labor).

Z1 agrees.
My local speed shop guy concurs.
IPP is mulling it over.

*** I am not mulling it over. I have held your installers hand through this whole process. They obviously aren't real experienced working on these heads(more on that later). ***

So... it looks like I might be dropping in the V2 cam after all (considering I have to rebuild the head anyway)

That’s not good.

Anyhow IPP may usually pretty good, but...
1. It took them months to get my head back (understandably due to Houston flooding) still...

*** Yes it took longer then expected after the devastation of Harvey and I did keep you up to date and apologized profusely for the delays. Plus the fact that we had to find a set of heads for you instead of using your heads. ***

2. They did not know about the V2 cam and when I asked them about it were a bit evasive. (I would definitely gone to MA had I known IPP was clueless about the new cam. I directly asked IPP if they were purltting in the new JWT second generation cam and they said they were.

*** That was the problem. You keep calling them the *V2* cams which usually means Version 2 and I told you I get the cams directly from JWT, so they would be the newest version. The *C2* cams are NOT a new version, they are a completely different cam. The *C2* cam is not available from anyone except MA until next year as they have the exclusive since they were the ones who tested them for JWT. So next year JWT and everyone else will be selling the C1 and C2 cams. There is no such thing as a V2 cam. ***

3. When I complained about a loud head and sent them a video clip with the pretty bad cam knock, they initially said “that can’t be our head!” Well it was.

*** No. I actually have been working with your shop to determine what the noise is and where it is coming from. They have told me that your original motor completely locked up and they reused your VVEL actuator sub assembly. Which in the service manual; Nissan says not to:

"VVEL actuator sub assembly and VVEL control shaft position sensor are nonreusable. Never remove them unless they are required."

So there is a strong possibility that the sub assembly may be bad and causing issues. ***

4. They did not accept my “cores” which were fine, and charged me for new ones. That seemed a bit fishy. They said I over disassembled the heads for shipping? Maybe that is a thing but it seemed strange

*** This is where I have a problem with your installers. They sent me your heads *COMPLETELY* disassembled.

Here is a quote from the Nissan service manual:

"CAUTION:
Never loosen adjusting bolts (A) and mounting bolts (black color) (B) of VVEL ladder assembly. If loosened, the stroke of cam lift becomes out of adjustment. In such case, replacement of VVEL ladder assembly and cylinder head assembly is required.
NOTE:
VVEL ladder assembly cannot be replaced as a single part, because it is machined together with cylinder
head assembly."

Your heads had the VVEL ladder assembly completely disassembled which makes them completely useless now. I can provide pictures if needed.

It scares me that your installers don't follow the Nissan service manual. ***

5. IPP asked me to check my chain followers they were fine. IPP asked me to check the VVEL (cam phasers), they were fine (checked by dealer). Now they are asking me to check the lash, and I am but they are very obviously out. All this is costing time and money. I think IPP is in denial a bit.

*** Since your original heads were completely disassembled against the service manuals instructions and your VVEL actuator sub assembly and VVEL control shaft position sensor were reused off of a motor that was completely destroyed; I am trying to find out if it is an issue with something we did or an install error. Since so many errors were made already through your installers. ***

I am reserving judgment on IPP depending on how they offer to remedy the complete mess they have made of my heads, and I understand any shop can goof it up, but I’ve had a very substandard experience so far and my Z is still out of action 4 months later (awaiting a rebuild of those goofed up IPP heads.)

*** And I am waiting to find out what the real issue is with your heads and/or install. If your heads have a valve lash issue, it will be the first case in over 550 motors/heads we have built since 2006. Not to say that a mistake could not have been made by my head guys but I do have some major issues with the way your installers have done things. I will continue to work with you and your installers to get to the root cause of the noise. ***

...and I’m probably going to have to repurchase JWT cams to run the V2... and a reflash... and a retune... not the end of the world, but an expensive bummer. 3000 bucks to fix all this I’d guess.

*** If you are going to replace your cams; you would be getting the *C2* cams. There is no such thing as a V2 JWT cam. ***

I’m not a big complainer usually, but this has been pretty rough.
http://site.importpartspro.com/Logo.jpg
Like Us On FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/ImportPartsPro
Kyle(Houston) is offline   Reply With Quote