View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
analogman
Base Member

Drives: Actively shopping
analogman is on a distinguished road

DesertZ, I think I'm a charter member of the sick car buyers club, having owned 104 of them over 45 years of driving. I'm about the same age as you, I guess doing the same thing, trying to recapture the lost days of my misspent and wasted youth by chasing fun cars (it's cheaper and less stressful than chasing women)(even though, truth be told, I'm getting a little old and arthritic for them)(both cars and women).

I also thought about the F-Type Jaguar. They depreciate like a rock falling off a cliff, and a couple of year old used one with under 10k miles can be had for about half its original price. But, there's probably a reason for that. British cars were never the most reliable (ask me how I know...), and I suspect being owned and made by a company in India (Tata) hasn't helped with that. Especially in my neck of the woods (Oregon), Jaguar dealers are far and few between - it would be tough to drive it farther than I care to walk home.

I've also thought a lot about the Corvette. Dealers were having some incredible fire-sale prices last month, many offering them at 15% below invoice. It's a lot of performance for the money, and fairly roomy and comfortable as well. It's still possible to get a new 2017 base car in the $40k's, and it's hard to beat the performance value. Most Corvettes I see are actually driven by cars around our 'age'. But, I don't know if I can get past the styling. The front 3/4 of the car is fine (if a little cartoonish and a bit of a Disney-esque caricature). But the rear end... that huge, rectangular block... I don't know if I could live with having to look at that.

I'm still shopping for a 370Z, have decided to go for a Nismo, and am finding a very wide range of prices being offered by dealers.
analogman is offline   Reply With Quote