View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
mendoza_ms
Base Member

Drives: 370z, 300zx, GSXR600
mendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond reputemendoza_ms has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoza_ms View Post
Update

I have another P1606 symptom for you all...

So, I got the replacement VVEL module in the mail last night and it looks like it's in good shape!

While I wait on the rest of my parts to arrive, I decided to move the Z into the shop (aka "the backyard"). And as I was backing in/out (at ~4MPH ) I noticed I had NO BRAKE PEDAL RESPONSE!

Basically the brake pedal was super stiff and so I had to resort to using my E-brake to help stop and move the Z into position. I checked the Brake Master Cylinder and vacuum hose and they looked okay, so If I had to make an educated guess I would say that the VVEL module may also be responsible for controlling idle air pressure needed to run the BMC. Otherwise I hope this is unrelated, as I am fairly confident I didn't blow my head gasket.

I'll keep you guys posted. I've dealt with worse so I am optimistic.

November 28, 2017
Spent a little time in the battery compartment area last night (where the VVEL Module and VVEL relays are stashed). I followed the diagnostic procedure here - thank you btw fritz

VVEL relay diagnostics problems

I got the VVEL relay off and didn't see anything suspicious. I ruled out the relay being burned out since swapping with its neighbor (the power window washer relay) had no effect and the washer motor and window washer both still work. The wires to those relays and my DIY grounding cables look fine as well.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time and couldn't finish getting the VVEL module out last night. But here is procedure:

(page EC-116 to EC-124)
Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club

Word of advice, to remove the VVEL module you NEED to first remove:

- battery compartment plastic shrouds/finishers
- the battery
- IPDM E/R (basically that huge black relay box next to the battery)

The VVEL module I is held in place with three 12mm bolts. I will get to the module itself next...

Last edited by mendoza_ms; 12-04-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: wrong number of bolts
mendoza_ms is offline   Reply With Quote