View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
MaysEffect
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Infiniti FX35
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValidusVentus View Post
I don't want to turn this into another "what's the best suspension settings!?" thread but I think there is an opportunity to learn something here.
I think the discussion is well within the original scope of things. All these problems stem from the concern of rise/fall...weight jacking, and tire traction loss.

Compromised instantaneous roll center is the dilemma behind having too much rise/fall with "incorrect" front wheel geometry. Increased SAI, increased camber and increased caster will be the biggest upsets for this. The notion behind adding as much caster as possible is to get as much camber as possible, but at the cost of reduced pitch control (rise/fall). There are several workarounds for this. One of which is Hotrodz common choice of removing the rear ASB. The other is playing around with rake. The most uncommon is reverse rake, usually only seen on WRC cars and drift cars. The least common setup is reducing the front ASB stiffness.

Like Rusty eluded too, there are trade offs and compromises. Too me...adding caster AND high levels of camber are not ideal trade offs. -2 degrees of static camber is probably the most optimal setting if you are going to the route of increased caster, the issue is when you starting getting close to -3 degrees and around 7+ degrees of caster. Right now you are currently in a safe zone.

The issue is much more evident on low profile tires or tires smaller than the rim width and setups with positive SR values.

PM me if you want links and guides on the roll center issue. There are a lot of references.
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote