View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
bcfromfl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2015 PW Nismo 6MT
bcfromfl will become famous soon enoughbcfromfl will become famous soon enough

I saw the post below from Topz about HFCs in another thread, and was wondering if there might be more long-term data available from various users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
FYI. You may burn those cats out [referencing Invidia 200-cell HFCs in an above post]. Especially if you push the kit a little harder then the 8psi pulley. There are several guys that have blown out their stock cats using this kit. You will get mixed reviews on the HFC's. Some say they flow better so last longer, while others claim OEM cats are built to last xxx,xxx miles so hold up to more abuse. Either way, test pipes will keep you in the clear of any cat meltdowns.

Its a slippery slope. Cats on a supercharged car can last the entire term of ownership, or plug up on you in no time.
The logical part of my brain wants to catalog the failures into specific reason(s) *why* the problem occurs. I hate it when things happen "sometimes!"

I'm guessing that the difference between sc and turbo applications is that the turbo somewhat mitigates some of the pressure/flow in the exhaust? For the ones who blew their stock cats, is there a common mod or circumstance that seems to precipitate failure?

I recall reading in one of the threads that the stock cats are 400-cell, so does the cell count not have anything to do with the flow capabilities, say, compared with a 200-cell Berk? Sounds like if you do take the plunge in upgrading to Berks, that you should save the OEM cats in a box...just in case.

What do the manufacturers have to say about their HFCs being used in sc cars? Do they stick a clause or two in the warranty to limit their liability?

And, on a purely practical note, does a cat give the driver some advance warning when it is blown, or is it possible that chunks could catastrophically get thrown into the muffler with no time to limp to the curb?

Thanks for your input!
bcfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote