View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
RastaMc
Base Member

Drives: Supra w 1EA0B tranny
RastaMc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reasons why I choose for the Z-trans were:
- There are more V16* on the market that are sold as "good working item" until you get it and open it. 2 guys I know paid more than €5000 for a V-trans and must invest a lot of money to get them fully working. At the end the bill became more than €7000....So, it's like playing the Lottery and I don't like that.
- The prices for a V-trans are just insane. I can buy a non turbo Supra for the price of a V-trans here in Holland. And that is just the trans, beside this I need to purchase the prop-shaft, differential, prop-shaft adapter, clutch, flywheel and in some cases the shifter. €€€€€€€€€
- I got a good deal for a 370Z trans with around 16.000km (look like new), Tilton slave cylinder, Tilton 7.25" double clutch (1400Nm), flywheel, gearbox-motor adapter, aluminium prop-shaft, prop-shaft adapter, Willwood master hydraulic pump, Twin turbo differential and all the bolts needed for the swap. I needed only to purchase the shifter relocation kit and the gearbox mount. However, it seems that the Tilton slave is to high and can't be fitted into the gearbox. So I got a solution from Zspeed for a special slave cylinder. All this, the same amount of cash I would pay only for a V16*
- I have already a 5-speed gerabox so part of the swap items needed are already on the car. this make it easier to swap.
- I could swap a R154 in the Supra but I will stay with a 5-speed trans and for long rides it is not so funny. A 6-speed trans was something I always wanted to have. Specially
aiming to the roads like Germany (Autobahn-->no speed limit) and those between Switzerland and Italy (like Stelvio pass)
The question is, would this Z-trans hold the Supra and be as reliable as they say/write on the internet? I read a lot of information about Z-trans failure, specially due to the slave but I also read that these trans can hold a lot of HP and are good piece of mechanical engineering. Only the slave is an issue. So I hope the Zspeed slave is more reliable and can hold the torque (500+) and HP (500-600) of the Supra.
But I will see that.
There are 2 guys in Holland making such a swap, only with the 350Z trans. One is being mapped right now and the other one will install the gearbox this winter.

Last edited by RastaMc; 10-23-2017 at 02:42 AM.
RastaMc is offline   Reply With Quote