View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
ToonaFish
Base Member

Drives: 16 370Z Sport 6MT GM
ToonaFish is on a distinguished road
Default Scratched trip computer screen!!!

Hello all. This will be my 2nd post ever on the forum and my first thread.

As stated on the title, I severely scratched the screen of the "trip computer," located on the left side of the gauge cluster. I was trying to remove dried saliva marks caused by sneezing (yuck, I know!). I assumed that the screen would tolerate my fingernails well, so I lightly scratched in an attempt to remove the sneeze stains.

Right away, many white scratch marks appeared. It seems like the trip computer screen has a dark anti-reflective film on it -- kind of like how glasses have those different coatings on them, except the film on this screen is so fragile.

My question is how do I go about this? Do I just buy a replacement gauge cluster, preferably used, and have the dealer install it and adjust the mileage on the odometer? I'm thinking other alternatives probably won't work. Will shops be able to do it for much cheaper? Most likely, no one would be willing to replace the screen itself. Scratching away the entire dark film would not work since the screen will be way too reflective.

Thank you, and sorry for this dumb mistake. I just assume that most screens and clear surfaces are not that sensitive, hence the reason why I scratched lightly instead of wiping it off. Sigh.......
ToonaFish is offline   Reply With Quote