View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
ZCanadian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370Z
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pickup Truck Advice?

Anyone here want to spend my money?

I know this is a sports car forum, but there must be a few of you out there with a truck in the driveway.

I'm starting to look at replacing my 2004 Avalanche. Had Mrs. ZCanadian's 370Z in for an oil change yesterday, and being alone and unsupervised at a dealership (always dangerous), I spent some time browsing the inventory at Nissan and the adjacent Toyota dealership. Being tired and vulnerable after a long week, I then went to my local GM store for some more window shopping. Test drove a few full sized pickups from each marque (new/used). Have yet to try a RAM, which I haven't test driven for over a decade despite having bought a dozen or more for the company in that period. I've never been much of a Ford fan.

Given unlimited time, I could search every brand on its own forum, but I barely have time to work and sleep anymore. So I'm going to start my search by asking you for personal experience or opinions with late model full-size 4x4 pickups of any make.

I actually need a vehicle like this. It isn't a driveway trophy used for pulling my toys (unless you consider horses, feed, farm equipment, and laden hay wagons to be toys). Where I live, even the Avalanche can get bogged down in deep snow and I require a vehicle like this for the farm. Baby trucks don't have the clearance, tow capacity, or brakes to cut it. But I also daily it in winter, so it needs to be relatively economical to operate.

Needs:
1/2 ton will work for me.
Tow 8,000lbs +
True 4x4.
Ground clearance.
4 seats.
Reasonable box (6' or bigger, closed).
Reliable, even in cold weather, and not expensive to operate.
Smaller than an aircraft carrier, would be nice!
Not too expensive to buy.

Wants:
Nice place to be (pleasant, practical interior).
Everything else is usually avalable as an option anyway.

I found some used Tundra 1794 Edition crew cabs that are pretty good. But I don't need a full crew cab. My second favourite model, but not cheap! Regular Tundra with some upgrades might be a good option as it comes with a double cab (vs crew). Fuel economy isn't stellar.

My favourite is the Titan XD but it would have to be with the Cummins engine as the gas mill sucks fuel like air. But it's also only full cab (big truck!). Would have to be used to make my budget. How's this engine in the cold? Don't like regular Titan much (smaller box, kind of cheesy interior and exteriors).

The Sierra SLE double cab with some upgrades is not horrible, with present discounts the new 2017 is 20% off list and comes in lower priced than used examples of the same truck (= minimual initial depreciation). There is a very good local dealership for service whereas the Nissan and Toyota are 45 minutes away. The best on gas, too. I've had pretty good luck with reliability on my Avalanche (13 years old). Yes, the interior surfaces are a bit cheap, and things will start falling off at 60,000 km.

RAM is perennially the low-cost, best-pulling option. Not a fan of the now-dated exterior and the interior is pretty nasty compared to the others. Again, there is a local dealer and they are pretty economical to run. Also available with a Cummins diesel or Hemi with MDS. Has a double cab option.

I might be better to keep my Avalanche for another year (it's not going down in value much anymore, and winters are hard on trucks here). There will always be sales and good used trucks on the market. But I've got a bee in my bonnet, and as my wife will attest, that's usually dangerous.

So, suggestions? Advice? Cautions?
Your chance to try to spend my money!

Thanks in advance.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote