View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
radix023
Base Member

Drives: 2016-370z-silver-m6
radix023 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I said before. By 2025. We won't be driving much and most cars will be electric. By 2030. All cars will be driverless and electric. So that is no insensitive to developed a new gas or electric powered sports car.

Something to think about electric cars. They need to be plugged in and charged. That means the electric grid has to be up-graded to handle the extra load. Look at Puerto Rico. The grid is down for months. That can happen here. Also, When the battery goes bad in an electric car. What do you do? The battery is the car. It's half the cost of the car.
I think that electric is coming, but I'm not sure that it will come so soon. If you haven't been following, Mazda believes they have mastered a gas-powered engine that uses pressure, not spark to ignite and thus burns cooler and more efficient. Like a 30-40% increase in efficiency. That keeps gas on the road for a while. (although let's not count chickens, it will be a year or two before Mazda either puts up or shuts up)

On the bright side, electric cars have all their torque at 1 rpm so starts from stops will be much faster.

Sometimes I think fondly that the kids will all be driving electric and only some eccentrics like me keep driving their gas cars, and they wonder why we're so happy to pay $0.50/gallon when electric is almost free.
radix023 is offline   Reply With Quote