View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Eagle
Track Member

Drives: 2011 370z Red 6MT
Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryghst View Post
The question still lingers, “to Nismo or not to Nismo” that does seem to be the question? Well I am going to offer up my two cents. I have owned a 2012 Touring coupe, auto, with the sport package for about two years, I recently purchased a 2016 white pearl Nismo, auto. Yes, I auto tranny’s on both, what was going through my mind. Well, I really had no strong preference on the trans and that is what came along on both.

The 2012 coupe handled and drove extremely nice, great acceleration, nice turn in, and great brakes. I did add sound proofing in the hatch area, hatch door, both side doors, and foot well areas. I also installed an Invidia Gemini exhaust system. This gave the 2012 coupe the audio feedback that was sweet to my ears.

I drove the 2012 coupe to the location of the Nismo which was about a 40 minute drive so the feel of the car was very fresh when I jumped to the Nismo for a test drive. My first impression was the Nismo felt more solid even a bit refined, odd I know. I could not put my finger on what I was sensing differently between the two cars. The ride itself is firmer but not to the point as to being harsh, very nice acceleration yet hard to tell the difference between the two cars. I don’t track my cars, however, we have some great drivers roads In my area where you can take your car for a spirited drive. These roads are well off the beaten path and some-what isolated. I’m not referring to driving like a mad man, just staying on it into the curves.

I get less of a feeling of speed with the Nismo, yet when I look at my speed I am hitting the curves at or above the speed I drove the 2012 coupe. Again, I was not sure why I was not sensing the speed that I was with the 2012 coupe. As I drove the Nismo more I finally stated to understand what I was NOT feeling, vibrations. It was either the Invidia exhaust on the 2012 coupe or the body dampers on the Nismo that was the difference in feedback I was getting from the two cars. The handling also contributing to the difference in feedback in the Nismo. I enter each corner flatter and exits with little change in body profile. What I find odd is that I did not notice any of this when driving the 2012 coupe. It too always felt firmly planted when driving, or so I thought. This Nismo takes it up a notch or two and gives the driver greater confidence in the cars overall grip.

Is the cost difference worth it? Well thats a question you can only answer for yourself, as for me, yes it was. This is because its not only the bump in performance and handling, I also like the way the car looks and that I know is very subjective.

What also played a part in my purchase of the Nismo and not adding the performance and handling mods to my 2012 coupe was that I would have to trust others for much of the work. My experience with having someone make changes to my car have not been the greatest. Along with that, another consideration I had was that the Nismo is a factory, warranted track ready performance car. There is some comfort in that, at least for me there is.

Well there it is, not sure this will help anyone make the decision to purchase a Nismo, just thought I would share my experience.
Thats great feedback, although...it should be known that no 370z is track ready, including the nismo. But that's a different discussion altogether.

The difference you're feeling between the two in terms of handling comes down to the springs and sway bars. The nismo has springs with a higher spring rate and a slightly thicker front sway bar. The nismo CHASSIS dampeners also help reduce NVH which probably translates to the smoother ride you are feeling.

Something to keep in mind is what year the nismo is, 2015+ they changed the setup to be a bit softer and compliant compared to before. Either they replaced the springs with something softer and or they replaced the sway bar.

Also tire selection can also have a dramatic impact on how the car handles and feels. Big difference between a set of Yokohama advans and the Bridgestone RE-11s that now come on the nismo from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

nismo| EVO-R High Wing | Stillen Gen 3 CAI | SEIBON TS Hood | Z1 34 Row Oil Cooler | VMR 810 Wheels | Endless MX72 Pads |Sabelt GT-140 Seat |Fly1Motorsports RS1 Fenders | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Berk HFC |

Last edited by Eagle; 10-09-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: I assumed people know what a nismo dampener is
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote