View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
OptionZero
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 370Z Nismo 6MT
OptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
We have a bunch of variables here.

Vented and non vented. We have vented.

Next is blank, drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted. Blank and the slotted are good for the track. Drilled, drilled and slotted are for looks on the street. Should not use them on the track because of the chance of cracking at the drill holes. The idea behind the drilled and the slotted rotors are to out gas the pads. Pads used to give off gas as they got hot. This lead to race teams to drill the rotors to help with braking. The pads now no longer need this.

Rotor material. There is different types of cast iron used in making rotors. From powder iron (cheap to make), to high grade gray iron ($$$). With some rotors. You have to watch what pads you use with some rotors because of the type of iron used.

The last variable. One piece vs 2 piece rotors. 2 piece rotors are more $$$. If you are racing or heavy into trackdays. They make sense. Or you are looking for the racecar looks. 1 piece rotors are cheaper, and easier to get. Last just as long as 2 piece.

Just my view on the subject.
Isn't there one more variable, such as how the "drilled" holes are achieved?

High end mfg cast their rotors with holes , where as cheaper options literally drill holes in blanks, which causes structural weakness

Is that right, or an old wives tale?

Anyways I'd never use anything but blankets on the street, just pointless to do anything else. Doing any track I'd stop ******* around and jump to 2pc and more aggressive pads