View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
370z1
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z Stillen SC
370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I went with the GlowShift Fuel Level Gauge because a friend of mine has one and he never opened it and is giving it to me. I have attached the PDF Instruction Sheet to give you an idea on how most companies will explain the installation of their gauges. It is programmable meaning it is truly universal for most all cars. Since our MAIN Fuel Level Sensor has an (80 Ohm FULL / 3 Ohm EMPTY) I can use the adjustable resistance dial back of the gauge to set to position number 1 which is 73 Ohm Empty/0 Ohms Full. I spoke to Glowshift and they said it will work perfectly because our sensor will surpass the resistance values of the gauge so the needle should peg out when full and drop to bottom peg when empty. So all of you guys looking to install an after market fuel gauge here are my steps I have taken or will take.

1. Verified in service manual the resistance values of the MAIN sender because that is the one I am going to tap off of. They are 80 Ohms Full/3 Ohms Empty.

2. Searched the web for any Fuel Level Gauge closest o our values. The industry standard closest to our values are 73 Ohms Full / 0 Ohms Empty

3. Pick the gauge you like best and if you need to change the resistance on the gauge be sure it is unplugged ie: no power otherwise you can damage it.

This picture is the glowshift gauge i will be using. As you can see from the directions how to wire it up and how to set the correct resistance value (For us Z owners it is Dial position # 1)

Installation:
1. Remove small floorboard insert behind Drivers seat. (Not the floor persay but the half midway up shelf about the middle of the seats back rest, the shelf behind the seat)
2. Remove temporary insulation underneath floorboard (Shelf piece) NOT the floor where the seat is mounted
3. Attach green wire from gauge to Fuel Level Sending unit top brass nut.
4. All other gauge wires can be tied into fuse box by drivers left ankle IE: Ground, 12V Ignition On, 12V Constant and 12V Headlamp for gauge dimming by 50% at night time. Note any 12V signal can be used for a dimmer just be sure it turns off with the ignition. That does NOT mean connect it to an ignition on 12V line because your gauge would then be dimmed in the daylight hours. You want a line that only becomes 12V live when it is dark out such as your headlight line BUT if too much of a pain simply connect to any 12V line whereas you can switch it on/off and it will automatically lose power when car is off. All my gauges have a central line for their dimmer signal which i have installed a switch in the center console to enable dimming at night time. I only did it this way because I wanted the freedom of not having my gauges not dim automatically everytime i turned on my lights.

Hope this has been helpful and I will post after I get it installed and verify it is working as suspected. I don't feel this will be too difficult. Basically we tap one wire off the fuel sender and run that wire to where ever you decide to install your gauge. The other wires can be tied into fuse box. I don't anticipate the entire job taking more then 2-3 hours IF THAT. But again AFTER i do it i will tell you HONESTLY how long it took me with pictures of any challenges I may encounter that I don't mention here.

Picture of my GlowShift Fuel Level Gauge (7 Color Series) Instruction Sheet. This PDF can be downloaded from:

http://www.glowshift.com/instruction...fuel-level.pdf

Kind Regards,
James (AKA: 370Z1)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GS-715_fuel-level.pdf (214.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by 370z1; 09-29-2017 at 10:59 PM.
370z1 is offline   Reply With Quote