View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
370z1
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z Stillen SC
370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute370z1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rusty, your "Saddle Tank" description would have been plenty to get my head around it my friend... I did say I was "Unsure" and that I was "guessing" but hey, crack a cold one on me....I do appreciate the link to YOUR other post about the Fuel Pump and the Sponsor
[Phunk's] contact info. I read your entire post and if or when I need to replace the fuel pump I know where to look. I found the information I was asking about and have shared here for others who might be looking. Since there isn't any info (prior to 09/26/17) out there
on what resistance values = EMPTY or FULL that are Factory Sender is using or which sender we need to tap into ie: saddle bag sensor on the Passenger's side or saddle bag sensor on the Drivers's side as both use diffeerent resistance values (see below the OHM's for EACH
Fuel Level SENSOR. Based on the data below believe I have all the information needed to install an After Market Fuel Gauge. Even though i have the OHM's at Emptyt and at Full I am going with a "Programable" Fuel Level Gauge which is like a pot, which allows us to change
the input resistance of the gauge wires to match the Ohms of the sender and get an accurate Empty and Full reading. Hopefully this helps anybody looking to install a Fuel Level Gauge. After I get done wwith my installation I will create a DIY guide to validate the Gauge I
purcchased worked, and that the "MAIN" sensor I tap off of also worked as oppossed to the "SUB Senseor" (which is what [last week me] would have called the sensor on Tank 2).

MAIN (Fuel Level Sensor Unit) (Driver Side Saddle) (Right side of car when facing windshield from front bumper)
Terminals: 2 & 5
Condition: Full = 3 Ohm's (Approx) (Float Height: 229.7mm / 9.04in)
Condition: Empty = 80 Ohms (Approx) (Float Height: 38.5mm / 1.52in)

SUB (Fuel Level Sensor Unit) (Passenger Side Saddle) (Left side of car when facing windshield from front bumper)
Terminals: 1 & 2
Condition: Full = 3 Ohm's (Approx) (Float Height: 32.8mm / 1.29in)
Condition: Empty = 40.9 Ohms (Approx) (Float Height: 241.1mm / 9.49in)

Picture 1 - Shows Locations of both MAIN fuel level sensor and SUB fuel level sensor

Picture 2 - Lists Locations of both sensors and other procedures.

Picture 3 - 3D View / exploded view of Tank and connections

Picture 4 - Lists both Fuel Level Sensors and their Resistances in (Ohms) at conditional states such as Empty and /or Full

Picture 5 - 3D View / exploded view of Fuel Level Sensor(s), Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump Assembly

All information except for the aftermarket gauge was sourced from our 370Z 2011 Service Manual and I have attached the PDF sections relivent to a DIY Fuel Level Gauge installation.

Next Post to follow will be notes on how my install went and the steps I took for a better (play by play) on what to expect, and pictures of the completed Fuel Level Gauge Installation. Once I complete that I will update this post but point
a URL redirect to a DIY new Thread i will start, if somebody doesn't beat me to it?

Thanks in advance for any help you shed on this topic....

I tried uploading the PDF Service Manual called, SECTION MWI AMETER, WARNING LAMP & INDICATOR but it was 1.66MB and the limit is 1.0MB so you will need to get this one yourself, just search on Service Manual.

PS: You MUST BE logged in to the Forum to SEE Inserted Pictures. Attachments can be downloaded by anyone but inserted images can only be seen by logged in users of this forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel System.pdf (494.4 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by 370z1; 09-29-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Formatting Text Bold/Underlines
370z1 is offline   Reply With Quote