View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
SurfDog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 6mt, 13 Sequoia,
SurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Can you give out a round about number on this motor build?
I did not really track the costs (probably because it hurt to look too carefully lol), but lets say with install about 16k all in??

Having no "cores" for rebuild hurt (as they were destroyed)

I know I could have bought a used NISMO for about the same cost, but my ride is pretty dialed in and, what can I say, she's worth rebuilding (to me at least)

ipp heads $3200 (with core charge)
z1 short block $5200 (with core charge)
various replacement of contaminated and destroyed parts $1,000 ish
steering rack repair $450
2 hour re-tune (because JWT cams and new internals) $500
labor $3-4,000 ish
accusump and line fabrication $500
Z1 clutch $600

I considered an LS swap, but I'm pretty happy with the stock-ish setup and this is now primarily a DD so going huge didn't seem like a good fit. I'm building for reliability this time and this guy will be a sporty mountain cruiser now. (the added JWT torque should make her just about right I'd say), also I was worried about too much power overwhelming my drive line and causing headaches down the road.

I'm keeping her heavy with heated sport seats and creature comforts and stock (high) ride height for all season use.

I also considered scrapping her and just buying a Cayman GT4 but I guess I'm just not a Porsche guy at heart (I felt a little douchy driving it around for a day on loan from a hopeful dealer. No offense to Porsche guys, just personal preference). Its a great car no doubt but a little too much "look at me" factor for a DD (recall I'm building a full on track car, so do not need another track toy)

Anyhow, it was a tough call, but ultimately I just decided... what the hell, I love this thing, lets just build it up a little bit cooler maybe a hair faster, and keep on running it till I find something I really like better.

BTW before committing to a rebuild, as options, I drove a lot of alternatives at dealerships and on the track (friends cars):
1. Cayman S and GT4: awesome, but super expensive and DD overkill. (also too much "look at me factor")
2. Corvrtte Z07. Cool car. A bit too much tech for a DD, plus as a former naval aviator made me feel like "Captain Midlife" (which I probably am but don't
want to advertise)
3. WRX... Nope.
4. several Hot hatches. not for me, besides, I already have a SUV for snow days
5. GT-350. nice car but heavy and a bit slow compared to z06 and z07 Vette. You have to really be a "mustang guy" for this to be your first choice i think.
6. Viper ACR. Awesome, super fun and very dialed in, but way too flashy for me and slow compared to my track car. (Maybe "slow" is not quite the right word, but still, whats the point, its definitely not a DD option for me)
7. used 911 turbo S: expensive to maintain, and overkill for DD. Cool track beast but I'm a RWD purest and a manual tranny guy
8. GTR. no manual, no way. (for me at least)

The Cayman S, GT4 and Z07 were by far the most tempting, but in my final analysis 16 k into a rebuild was the right fit, and my fairly "non stock" Z is close enough to both those guys at the track to keep my self respect and still has good DD characteristics. (and is a bit of a sleeper which is fun)

Lastly, and probably the main decider, my first car was a '77 280z and I guess I just have a passion for Z cars, What can I say...

edit: dealer would have dropped in an OEM motor for 12,500 labor included. (I preferred a 'built' motor... at about same cost, with better cams oil pump etc)
09 6spd Berk CBE, JWT cams, ZSpeed CSC, Stillen (25 row oil, brake cooling, sways, gen3 CAI), Passport (9500ci), Quaife LSD, Z1 400 hp kit, ss lines, pads, rotors, clutch etc, Phunk's pan and fuel starve fix

Last edited by SurfDog; 09-28-2017 at 02:58 PM.
SurfDog is offline   Reply With Quote