View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #2319 (permalink)
MaysEffect
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Infiniti FX35
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchammond View Post
May’s - you gotta get more trial & error experience.

When you are performing the work “Yourself” & not paying to have done or reading what works best,will only get you in the hall field.
Again-it’s how you desire the look & what’s appealing to the individual.

I have 35yrs. Experience in this field & still learning....please don’t bash guy’s on here; as some have lots more than myself.
I'm not sure you read what i said correctly if you think I'm bashing anybody. I just gave valid reasons why you could stretch a tire. I've tried several tires and tire fitments on cars already in my short time driving. I don't need to try unaccesary tire fitments if i understand and know what is optimal for the rim size and cars space and weight. I spend a lot of money on my tires, I'm not gonna trash them by not getting the best handling, wear and feedback from them because i decided to go too large or too small. Function is significantly more important to me and some people than visual appeal, and personally i don't think there is anything visually appealing about a incorrect fitment. I respect everyone's personal choices certainly when they have no bearing on my life. But this a forum about sharing ideas. I'm not gonna suggest something that's flawed by design and guidelines. PROFESSIONAL GUIDELINES.

Optionzero even agreed he personally does it for aesthetic value and if he was to "track" his car, he would put a more optimal tire setup on. I personally drive spiritedly all the time, so i know i need the most functional fitment 24/7. Using the wrong tire size has downsides to handling and wear. I'm sure many will agree and know this to be true. So why should i suggest to anyone or experiment with the incorrect size? There is plenty of information out there with the CORRECT guidelines to go by. The one consistent bit of information is using the optimal sizing. Not "experiment until you get it right". If that was the norm, people would be wasting money left and right getting it wrong. I don't suggest people live like that regardless of how much time and money you have to waste.

Quote:
As far as a 275 on an 11....look at what the 4sec. 1/8th Mile car rear wheels are w/275 drag radials.
Drag radials for those fitments come with massive sidewalls, not tiny low profile sidewalls that will not deform or stretch properly. This is a huge difference from stretching a 275/30 on a large 19+ wheel. And most of the time you still use the correct rim size. In any case drag radials are still not ideal for normal driving conditions, so it's rather irrelevant.

Your trucks you describe also use large sidewalls, and just because you are getting away with it, doesn't make it optimal. You'd unquestionably have better steering response if you were using the optimal size for the wheel. A 305 on a 8.5 wheel is excessive regardless if it works.

Last edited by MaysEffect; 09-24-2017 at 03:04 PM.
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote