View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
miguelruiz064
Base Member

Drives: 370z M6
miguelruiz064 is on a distinguished road
Default Is the Bose subwoofer much worse than aftermarket compact subwoofers?

So I'm in the process of replacing my 2014 Base + Sports double-DIN head unit with a Pioneer NEX 2330. I want to add a subwoofer but I don't want to modify the car in any way and don't want a visible subwoofer if possible, so my options are limited.

Now I have been looking at subwoofer threads (over 400 at this moment) and the more I research, the more I get frustrated. Apparently the OEM Bose subwoofer sucks, for all I've read. I'm open to buy a Pioneer TS-WH500A or similar; I think it would be neat to have all the speakers and head-end unit the same brand but it's not a religious thing for me. Now for all I've read in Car AV forums, all compact, self-powered subwoofers suck too. All of them.

I can grab an used Bose sub from eBay for around $75 shipped including the wiring harness, install it in the spare tire bay and call it a day (which I've almost done but not quite yet); I've reviewed the subwoofer connector pin-out and looks easy peasy: 1 ground, 1 positive, 1 remote power-on, 1 left and right channels and a common input ground which I can convert into 1 RCA and run the cable to the NEX subwoofer output together with the remote-on.

I don't expect the Bose sub to blow my windows out, but if I go through all the trouble to install it, turn it on for the first time and find out it's as terrible as portrayed in this sub-forum I'm going to be pissed. My wife has an R51 Pathfinder for the winter and it's pretty decent, not great but decent. My winter car is a MB ML320 and the Bose speakers sound great, but the subwoofer is okay (but only okay), so I have mixed feelings.

The TS-WH500A sells for around $160 so the price difference is not a deal breaker, but if it's going to suck as much as the Bose I would rather expend $75.

What would you do in my shoes? I don't want a big box in the trunk, could live with the Pioneer subwoofer installed behind the aluminum brace if it's significantly better than the Bose. Unfortunately I cannot compare them side by side.
miguelruiz064 is offline   Reply With Quote