View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Eagle
Track Member

Drives: 2011 370z Red 6MT
Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey32g View Post
I've read all the 7AT vs 6MT threads and the absolute last thing I want to do is create another one, but here goes. This morning I test drove a 7AT car and liked it a lot more than I expected. So now, being a manual guy, I'm confused on which to get.

I'd just like to hear some thoughts mainly from 7AT guys. My fear is that I'll just leave it in automatic and end up feeling like I'm driving my Q50S that I just got rid of.

Thanks.
I had a 2012 7AT Sport and it was pretty damn fast in a straight line, not to mention on the race tracks down here in So Cal.

My only gripe was reliability and the sensitivity this unit has to heat. I had my transmission replaced 4 times under warranty. Granted, I drive hard...but I kept up with my maintenance and I even added a transmission oil cooler to help. The good news is that it did indeed help and extended the life of the trans under hard driving conditions. The bad news is the trans still broke.

If you are the type of guy who likes the twisties and drops down a gear or two before sailing into a corner, my advice is to get the 6MT if you can.

If you aren't that type of driver, you should be fine with the 7AT. Just know that eventually the day will come when the torque converter, flexplate, the transmission or all the above are going to go.

The 6MT's don't have this kind of problem, they get to deal with CSC issues though

Also, regarding the tuning from EcuTek and Uprev...keep in mind your upshifts may get quicker and sharper but your downshifts will become more sluggish. This is a non-issue for drag racers and street racers who like doing pulls light to light or from a roll, but in the canyons and the road courses I imagine this will become frustrating and possibly dangerous. This is feedback I received from DEPointFive0.

nismo| EVO-R High Wing | Stillen Gen 3 CAI | SEIBON TS Hood | Z1 34 Row Oil Cooler | VMR 810 Wheels | Endless MX72 Pads |Sabelt GT-140 Seat |Fly1Motorsports RS1 Fenders | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Berk HFC |

Last edited by Eagle; 09-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote