View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
twyrick
Base Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Nismo Tech
twyrick is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty happy with my purchase and knew what I was getting into, in general, when I bought my '16 Nismo. But I can definitely see why a lot of these change hands quickly.

For starters? If you bought one (like i did), assuming you could do some bolt-on mods and make more power without breaking the bank? Yeah, not so much.... Especially with the Nismo edition, it seems like everyone has varied opinions on what upgrades make the most sense. But bottom line is, people typically want you to spend about 2x what an upgraded air intake usually costs for other sports cars, and somewhere north of $750 for an exhaust upgrade to make maybe 15 *peak* HP. Only then are you ready for dumping another $700+ into a custom tune so you can actually make a decent HP bump with about $15,000 to $20,000 for a turbo or supercharger upgrade (and supporting mods so it doesn't blow things up).

By the time you get a Nismo from the stock 350HP to somewhere in the 400's, you've spent enough so you could have just moved up to a more expensive and powerful car in the first place.

I've really had to rethink all my modding plans for this car, and resigned myself to enjoying it pretty much as-is, beyond the cosmetic stuff I did like window tint and tasteful vinyl decals on the doors. This is NOT like my old '97 Supra TT where so much potential could be unlocked with no more than a few thousand invested.

I'd also agree with a lot of the stuff already said though. People get wowed by the styling and handling of these cars, but after driving one for a year or two - realize all the downsides hurt more than they considered. High insurance rates, unable to really drive it in winter months with snow and ice, realization that these cars have been around for about 10 years now with few design changes so shiny, new alternatives catch their eye quickly, noisy cabin that can make long road trips less enjoyable, higher fuel costs for premium unleaded + not so amazing gas mileage, issues with lack of cargo space, and realization that you're always driving some other vehicle because more than 1 other person wants to ride with you.....
twyrick is offline   Reply With Quote