View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
MaysEffect
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Infiniti FX35
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchammond View Post
Unsure about all the details that Mays says; but little or no toe in rear will make the tail end dance around-especially if you go negative.
Also; I'm pretty sure you supposed to line up the rear before going to the front..& this may sound weird & the alignment shop may not do it....but road test it good & then throw back on the rack..as it seems things will settle.
I performed my own alignment & had to tweak it over a couple week span-to get the drive & measurements I was looking for.
A real learning process.
I was just attempting to explain the dynamics behind what goes on during driving conditions. At most cases we'd be cruising at highway speeds. I concur it will slide around the rear with toe out when cruising. But under acceleration the rear is set to toe in. To be fair, it's not efficient to drive this way in daily conditions. But at the track, its advantageous.

If you are using the string and ruler alignment technique it doesn't matter which axle you do first as long as you are using some form of turn plate under all four wheels. If you're only using turn plates on one axle at a time, then yes, rears first, reset the string, then fronts. In all cases, doing it on uneven ground will result in a incorrect alignment no matter what. 1/2 inch of unevenness is enough to mess up accuracy. Plus J, you have massive tires so i can't imagine this being easy to do .
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote