Thread: Cooling my amps
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
DrNumbers
Base Member

Drives: 2016 370Z
DrNumbers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmea? View Post
A fan under the carpet? Where will you direct the heat? You just need a little bit of space around the amp.
My thought was that I just needed to move the air a bit back there. I figured at least some of the heat will escape from under the carpet. I realize this isn't the most well thought out solution, but I figured I didn't need to to do much to solve the issue. I haven't had a problem for the past month driving for 2+ hours at mid-high volume. The issue popped up after playing my music at roughly 90-100 db for about an hour, following roughly 1.5-2 hours of playtime at mid-high volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
I use this same amp under a false floor, covered by plexi. There is about 3 inches of space around the amp, and only 1/2" to the plexi. Not once have I had an overheating issue. It needs space, albeit very little. Are you at a 4 ohm load, and are your gains set correctly??
The amp is running at 4 ohms. The gains should be correctly set as well. I'm not entirely sure, but I think a possible issue is the way the amps have been physically set up:

Amps.jpg

The cooling fins of the amp are flush against the amp rack on one side and very close to touching the carpet padding on the other side. I'm not sure if this is an issue as the whole top of the amp acts as a heatsink (as I understand it). Perhaps I should re-mount the amps?

Beautiful set-up by the way Ron. Wish I were in PA; I'd pester you to listen to your system. I'm entering the MECA street comp here in California coming up in the next week.
DrNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote