View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
I've never really felt ok with an oil-less turbo. So, you add grease every few thousand miles, but you never open it up and clean out the old grease - how does it not turn into a sticky gummy mess after 30k miles?
For the industrial bearings I've worked with, the new grease pushes the old grease out the sides of the bearing (or some type of vent). In the case of a turbo, I would assume most of the grease will ooze out on the exhaust side and be sent out the tailpipe.

Based on my experience with high-temp bearings, I would give the bearing a shot or two of grease* much more often than 3000 miles. Maybe once a week for a DD.

YMMV. All my experience is with industrial equipment and not turbos.

* Just how much would depend on type of bearing, size, etc.