View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 04:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaysEffect View Post
The numbers in themselves have a lot attached to it. The first being the maximum stroke length in relation to the total capacity. This is what needs to be matched first before anything else. In most cases these different rated springs don't share the same length or the dampers don't share the same extension length. The HKS is not that extreme when you consider its free length is short compared to some other springs and the fact it uses a secondary spring to take up the remainder of droop. I think a properly matched tender spring would make the droop sensation feel even better, but this could add another 300+ dollars in cost. In most cases that can be the difference of someone going with a different brand.
I'm not sure I follow you in this. The stroke will always be a ratio of droop vs travel. Now thinking about this vs other things like the offroad world I can see why they would require a helper/tender spring with very stiff springs. For example if you had a 5inch stroke shock (which appears to be the norm for the z) and you have say 30% sag with a 11k spring and zero preload (I choose 30% as that's a norm for my world). Now let's say with that 11k spring and zero preload you still feel too much roll and not enough support. Well with air suspension you can do some tweaks like reducing air volume (making it pregressve), firming the low speed damping to gain support at cost of sensitivity or boosting gas charge in damper to increase ramp up and more support. If doing it by spring rate as common in a car now you gain support at cost of traction. Given same example is 30% sag with 11k spring and zero preload what do you think your sag / - travel will be at 16k rates? Obviously less and there goes your traction over humps and inside tire lift which is where the helper / tender spring comes in to gain - / droop travel back.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote