Thread: Black top Dust
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

I, too, have been giving some thought to exactly the same thing, lubricating all of the pivot points of the top mechanism.

Here's the cautions to doing that, that have me thinking that some research has to be done to ensure that the owner doesn't do more harm than good.

With the Stayfast Cloth/canvas tops we have on our 370z's, over lubrication, or using the wrong lubricant could stain the top material, and/or the inner headliner, or excessively wear some of the pivot points depending on the metals/plastics they're made of.

For sure, whatever is used, must be used sparingly, and some of the pivot points may prove almost impossible to get at due to the inner headliner. The headliner may have to be removed to do any lubrication.

Then again, maybe the time to do a job like this is when a new top material is installed. Or maybe Nissan doesn't suggest that anything ever needs to be done.

Lets see if anyone else has done something along this route and has some thoughts to share. Then again, maybe there's a member here who has a tech contact in Nissan of America or Nissan of Canada and can share their findings on the topic.

I'm going to see what I can dig in to in order to find an answer, but its going to take some time. I'll see what I can dig up by winter.

Gene

Last edited by gbhrps; 07-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote