View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
MaysEffect
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Infiniti FX35
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsZ View Post
I'm not going to point fingers, but there is a LOT of wrong information and/or false facts in this thread.

One thing I will tell you right now, "cone depth" has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality nor does it have anything to do with sound quantity.

Now the curvature of the cone and how the cone transitions to the surround, that's a different story, one I won't bother going into here.

Quicksilvers, my advise to you is to do more research before making your decision based off of the information in this thread alone.

Whats the purpose of claiming the information is wrong without presenting any facts to your claim.

The speaker depth dictates the potential angle and curvature of the cone, if you reduce the speaker depth you reduce the potential cone depth. Less speaker depth means you inherently sacrifice the curvature of the cone. Changing the cone convexity can and will change the directional beaming of a speaker certainly in the low mids->high fq range. Lastly changing the cone depth changes the overall displacement of air. changing a number of factors can change the total displacement of air, but the primary contributors is the depth of the speaker and xmax of the voicecoil, and the depth of the cone. That was my point about shallow depth speakers which sacrifice both of these factors. A 6 inch wide by 6 inch deep cone will always have more cone area than a 6 inch wide by 1 inch deep speaker.

More of this is discuesed in this older topic
Speaker cone designs and their effects - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote