View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 02:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Jhill
Track Member

Drives: 2013 370z sport
Jhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond reputeJhill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber370 View Post
Some oil consumption is expected by all of today's manufacturers and almost designed into the engine. A "looser" engine will make more power and get better fuel economy at the expense of consuming oil. It's as simple as that.

Here is an interesting video from our favourite Australian that provides an excellent explanation on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1kqSo3aeM
This is somewhat true but there is still unacceptable usage. It seems some manufacturers use it as a scape goat now days too with usage of 1qt every 1000mi and I can tell you after seeing multiple engines of multiple manufactures some will use none while at the same time another of same make model etc will reach near that 1qt at 1k mi and that really sucks for the owner. Especially if they run high grade synthetic oil at 10-15 a qt. For then I say screw the oil changes and just do filter changes. You do the math and at 1k usage and a 10k interval with a 4qt sump you have changed the oil almost 2.5x by the time it's due for a complete change.

Also the fact Nissan has acknowledged a time frame ofnthe engines effected (most likely they tried a new cheaper ring manufacturer and it back fired) means they know they had an issue. Vw had the same thing happen in the v6 passats in early 2000's (sadly my sister just barely met the 1qt at 1k mi and car was nothing but problems) that gen vw quickly made me hate being a vw tech and lost all faith of the product line (1.8t POS, v6 oil consuming POS etc etc) luckily she got to trade it in later for a rogue and it's been great for many years now, which says a lot because she abuses cars and really should just stay with Honda like she's always had in the past (only way to kill a honda is on purpose with a lot of effort), but rogues going on I think 4-5 years now and going strong.
Jhill is offline   Reply With Quote