View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 AM   #143 (permalink)
ChopsZ
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z GM 6MT
ChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Question 1. Depending on how low you go. Will determine when you will hit the bump stops and how often. Everyone has hit the bump stops at one time or another. You just don't know it.

Question 2. Lowering the car has nothing the do with the driveshaft between the tranny and diff. Both are fixed in position. The driveshaft doesn't move. It's fixed at the diff. You should be concern about the halfshafts between the diff and knuckle. The diff stays in place the the knuckle moves up and down in an arc.

Q1) I ask about the bump stops because I wanted to know just how close we actually are to them once lowered. On one of the roads I normally drive on almost daily, there's two manhole covers in the middle of the lane, and for whatever reason, the road has a couple of really sharp dips (ripples) between them. While stock, it's quite an abrupt bounce through there. Now that I'm lowered, it's an actual "jolt" going through there. I'm assuming that jolt is from ramming right into the rear bump stops. It does not seem to bother the front at all.

I'm sure we do all ride the bump stops once in a while without knowing it. If our Z's are setup like Miatas, they are designed to compress the springs fully and then gradually compress the bump stops as the bump stops on Miatas are actually factored into the handling of the car. They rely on riding on the bump stops during hard cornering.

Q2) I don't know why, but for some reason, I have been thinking about it as if it were a live axle, which it's not. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the diff is physically connected to the chassis. Sorry about that.

On that note, what concerns would there be with the half shafts? Only asking for curiosity reasons. I have no plans on ever going any lower than what the Ark GT-S springs give me.

As it is, I sometimes think I should have stuck to my guns and went with the Swifts. Not because of rubbing or bottoming out, but because the front and rear tires tuck a little now which prevents me from using spacers, and also limits me on eventually going with wider meat front and rear.