View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
zmiller1371
Base Member

Drives: 2011 Gray Z
zmiller1371 is on a distinguished road
Red face Electrical Troubleshooting Issue

Got a question folks and I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I'm mounting some Morimoto X.DRL 1 lights in the Carbon Fiber Ducts that were previously the air ducts for the Stillen Air-Cooled Braking system.

After wiring a universal 40A relay harness to my Z, I tested the install by attaching some halogen lamp KC Hi-Lites I had laying around, all was good to go.

After re-installing the ducts onto the car and connecting all the wires, I hit the on/off switch and the 40A fuse blew. I double-checked my connections, blew again.

I thought it might be a power-draw issue, so I only hooked up the Right light and the fuse held; only hooked up the Left light and the fuse held. Hooked both lights back up and the fuse blew again.

I've hooked up several of these relays on my Tacoma for various lighting projects and never had an issue like this. I want to be able to control the DRL's in case I'm parked somewhere and not wanting to light up the area with the DRL's.

I've included pics to show what the DRL's will look like and some close-ups. The flash from the iPhone depicts how it'll look with headlights on/off.

Any suggestions?

Zack Miller
US Army Ret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4809.jpg (600.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4810.jpg (669.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4807.jpg (434.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4811.jpg (539.6 KB, 7 views)
zmiller1371 is offline   Reply With Quote