Thread: Short Shifter?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
ChopsZ
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z GM 6MT
ChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond reputeChopsZ has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I like the stock shifter in the Z just fine.

I've owned two very different Miata's over the years, 5 years each, a 2002 and a 1991. The shifters in those Miata's are excellent, everyone knows that too. Funny thing is, the one in the Z reminds me of that Miata shifter. It's not as short, and it's not as precise, but it's close.

I had a VooDoo knob on the 2002 and a JoyFast knob on the 1991. Just a simple flick of the wrist and you could run up and down the gears quickly and easily. The Z's shifter isn't too far off from those.

Maybe one day I'll get a shorter, weighted knob for the Z, but I can assure you one thing, it won't be a metal one again like those in the Miata's. Living down here in Florida, grabbing those knobs is the equivalent of putting your hand on a stove-top burner on high!

My only complaint with this car about smooth shifting is the darn clutch pedal. Even with the RJM pedal installed, I still don't have it dialed in right and still get jerky shifts through 1st to 3rd.