Thread: Black top Dust
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

Gentlemen,

Having lived with this 2016 roadster for 9 months, and after much research, I've discovered that Nissan's Owner's Manual Caution for NOT stopping the top during its opening or closing routine is just that a caution.

Leaving the top in its partially folded configuration standing straight up, with the tonneau cover in the fully open position, for a great deal of time, would be foolhardy. It could be damaged by wind gusts if out in the open, passing morons, and slowly draining hydraulic fluid could seriously stress some of the 8 rams and linkages, causing all kinds of damage.

But that's if you leave it in this position for some time without support.

Today I opened my top part way to allow access to the folded top storage compartment. And then I found the source of the dirt/dust that was showing up on the fold lines and solidly backed frame sections of the cloth top.

That compartment is lined with a loosely fitted vinyl bag. In it were spots of dirt and dust, pretty much everywhere. As well, I found two or three small spots that were water marks left over from evaporation, from before I purchased the car. Since my ownership, the car has not been caught in the rain, or been washed (California Car Duster and Maguair's Detailing Spray).

After a vaccuuming and a clean down of the storage compartment, I think its fair to say that my top marks that I complained about in my first post of this thread, should be a thing of the past with occasional compartment cleanups. Thanks OldGuyFla!

Gene
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote