View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #3565 (permalink)
Cyber370
Track Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Nismo 6MT
Cyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicerX View Post
Your post completely summarizes why there is no new Z.

The casual buyer can only talk about horsepower. The Z has never been about horsepower - it has been about the driving experience and the total package of the car. It has been about putting it all together. The sum of parts is the reason why a heavier Nismo GT-R with less horsepower and torque can beat a Corvette Z06 around Streets of Willow - it's the sum of parts working together. Nissan's sports cars have always been that way.

What happens to cars like this when the casual buyer looks and sees a more practical, more powerful Mustang for the same price as a 370Z Sport Touring? He buys the Mustang because more horsepower, and maybe he can't afford a DD plus a sports car, so he buys the Mustang because it's the best bang for the buck he can buy.

That makes the Z a niche car. A special, unique car, but niche. The entire automotive landscape has changed in the last 10 years - what was a sports car to the masses then isn't necessarily the same thing that makes a sports car these days. The Z is now a dinosaur niche vehicle. Nissan doesn't seem to give two ***** about niches these days, because niches don't break profit records. They don't seem to know what to do to make the Z have a wider appeal, and I'd rather them just kill it than bastardize it.

Well said!!! I agree. I laugh when people start comparing horsepower numbers and nothing else. I used be a muscle car guy and it took me a while but I finally understood what makes a good sports car. The complete package!!!

On my previous Corvette C5, I spent loads of money trying to make that car handle like a true sports car. I finally discovered that as my grandmother used to say.....you can't make a racehorse out of a mule no matter how much money you throw at at! Once I test drove my '16 Nismo, I understood instantly and traded in my more powerful Corvette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk