View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #3563 (permalink)
RicerX
Track Member

Drives: To the Pizza joint.
RicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
I think the biggest "problem" with the Z's right now is that they have hardly any competition. What other car company mass produces a fairly lightweight V6 sports car with a good amount of HP and has great handling right out of the factory? Not to mention the amount of stuff you can do to it. And it's only $30,000! The closest competitor I can think of would be V6 mustangs--but they're no competition for a Z, like at all. That mustang gets 240 HP at the wheels while we get around 275. Even the STI gets 250 at the wheels.

In my opinion, Nissan needs to take a few years off from the Z's to really make a comeback. A big one. By all means, Z's should have V6's as always, but Nissan needs to make them more in competition with other cars. A Z, out of the factory, with around 300 HP at the wheels? That'd be perfect! As long as it isn't breaking the bank, I see no reason why Nissan wouldn't have their V6 sports car compete with the V8's Ford and Chevy are rolling out. Just my opinion, though.

And another thing... A lot of you will likely disagree with me on this one, but I just don't think the differences between base model, sports package, and Nismo are that dramatic. Base model Z's get 275 HP at the wheels, and Nismos get around 290-295 or so with the extra 20 HP in the engine. Honestly, the suspension is what makes a Nismo a Nismo. But why couldn't Nissan release a 300 WHP base Z and a 350-375 WHP Nismo? That's a significant difference, and I think that would really put the Z's back on the map, as far as competition goes. Then, the Nismo would be competing with the Mustang GT (385 WHP) and Camaro SS (350 WHP). This way, Base/Sports Z's would be competing with the new Supra, and the Nismos would be competing with the Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and whatever else will be in that bracket. I'm assuming the new Supra will have a 400 hp engine and stuff, but I could be wrong!

What do you guys think?
Your post completely summarizes why there is no new Z.

The casual buyer can only talk about horsepower. The Z has never been about horsepower - it has been about the driving experience and the total package of the car. It has been about putting it all together. The sum of parts is the reason why a heavier Nismo GT-R with less horsepower and torque can beat a Corvette Z06 around Streets of Willow - it's the sum of parts working together. Nissan's sports cars have always been that way.

What happens to cars like this when the casual buyer looks and sees a more practical, more powerful Mustang for the same price as a 370Z Sport Touring? He buys the Mustang because more horsepower, and maybe he can't afford a DD plus a sports car, so he buys the Mustang because it's the best bang for the buck he can buy.

That makes the Z a niche car. A special, unique car, but niche. The entire automotive landscape has changed in the last 10 years - what was a sports car to the masses then isn't necessarily the same thing that makes a sports car these days. The Z is now a dinosaur niche vehicle. Nissan doesn't seem to give two ***** about niches these days, because niches don't break profit records. They don't seem to know what to do to make the Z have a wider appeal, and I'd rather them just kill it than bastardize it.